Friday, December 3, 2010

I can't sleep

I have been having trouble sleeping since, well since my world was turned upside down. I can't get to sleep at night, and I wake up super early in the mornings.

This is much better than it was in the beginning. At first, I couldn't get to sleep, I couldn't stay asleep, and I was wide awake at 5am (I don't have to get up for work until 7:30).

Now, I know that part of this is my fault. You see, I dread going to bed. I dread the moment when the tv is turned off, and I am alone in my apartment. Brushing my teeth, washing my face, and heading to bed. I dread lying in my bed alone. It is the only time of the day that I can't distract myself with something else. That I feel truly alone.

But even when I do get into bed early. I lie awake.

I have tried a few different things. All natural vitamins such as valerian root and melatonin. I have tried drinking warm tea before bed, having a bath, reading a book. I've used earplugs, listened to calming music (or boring LSAT reviews).

For the past few weeks, I have even been going to see an acupuncturist who is claiming to be able to help restore the balance of energy in my body to help reduce the anxiety and help me sleep. Or something.

I do have a prescription from the doctor. But, she recommended that I try it out on the weekend, because it may make me foggy for a day or so. But, since I am using my weekends studying for the LSAT, I don't want to risk being foggy for a day.

Here's the thing about not being able to sleep. You. Are. Tired. Obviously, right? But not sleeping for months on end makes you feel more than tired, it makes you feel run down. I am nauseous often. I am getting headaches. My allergies are out of control. I have had more sore throats in the past 3 months, than I had all last year. My body is tired. (I am actually home from work sick today).

I have another acupuncture appointment this afternoon. So hopefully it will help me sleep tonight.

Any tips or tricks to help with sleeping?

5 comments:

  1. I hate going to bed too. I line up pillows on one side of my bed so it feels like someone is there. I don't have any great suggestions on how you can get some sleep though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it in your first sentence. You are having trouble sleeping since your world was turned upside down, and that's the key. Through time, and when life brings you contentment, sleep will come again naturally. I promise. In the meantime, don't go to bed until you are falling asleep and when you are in bed, think about something nice about the next day. A small thing, like something you might cook, or a friend you might speak to. Don't look backwards, only forwards and it will take you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I have a body pillow that I keep in bed most nights. :)
    Natalie, I know, I am impatient. Everything just takes time, but I don't like waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do this exercise where I layed in the most comfortable position i could. Then I would imagine each body part relaxing one by one, starting with my toes and working up. It worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dolly, I have not tried that. I will definitely keep it in mind for tonight!

    ReplyDelete