Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Well Wishes...

When I got up this morning, and checked my email, there was a message from a friend who lives in another part of the country. She was wishing me well, since my wedding is in just a couple of days.

When we got engaged, we shouted it from the rooftops. We posted it on Facebook. We sent emails. We announced it to everyone.

When we got un-engaged, not so much. We quietly deleted our relationship statuses. I basically hid in my new apartment for weeks. I sent emails to those closest to me, and hoped that they would tell the others.

The friend who emailed me this morning, is really just an acquaintance. We worked together at a summer camp, 7 years ago. We no longer have mutual friends, but have kept in touch through email and Facebook for the past number of years. I didn't tell her myself, so she didn't know.

I sent her back a quick email to let her know that I am not, getting married in a few days. How terrible.

I also decided to deactivate my Facebook account for the next little while. I don't want the same kind of thing happen, on a more public level. I don't want anyone to congratulate me on my big day. Or, worse, to say that they are "thinking of me today".

So I deactivated. Just for the next week or so. Those who  are close to me can call, text or email. Those who aren't, will have to sent their thoughts telepathically.

I wonder if my ex is getting the same kind of emails?

6 comments:

  1. Deactivating Facebook at sensitive times is always a good idea. Most people I know do it! When you get past this point, the tension will have passed and you will be ready to move on to a brand new stress-free chapter.
    I think you are doing brilliantly! And I have no doubt that you will find the love and happiness that you so obviously deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably emails, texts and calls. Everyone usually wants to know what's going on. Stay strong! Everything happens for a reason (sorry, i just had to say it because it really is true).

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and check out my quote blog... it might help a bit (it does for me anyways!). It's at:

    www.bitsotruth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nat, yeah. I deactivated this morning. And then I got an email from a friend who was like "I can't find you on facebook..." Haha.

    Jen, Yes, everyone just wants to see how I am :) I will let my close friends know and then have gossip take over :) I added your quote blog to my reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I know how you feel. I was getting those messages, and then "how was the wedding" messages for months. It'll subside. Good call on taking down Facebook.
    As far as shouting it from the rooftops... guilty as charged. Even my company put my engagement on their Facebook page of thousands of followers. I wish there was an undo button on all of that. Oh well. Live and learn I guess.
    And, sorry if I've been one of those "how are you" and "thinking of you" peoople that are driving you crazy. In the end, everyone is just concerned because this can be a hard day. But you seem totally equipped to handle it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cat, Yes, live and learn for sure. And no one in the blog world has been annoying me about the "how are you" stuff. I just didn't want all the public "how are you" for all the people from High School to see :) Thanks for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete